Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Work...We Have a Love Hate Relationship


I love what I do for a living but it causes me much stress too. I guess I'm not much different than others in that regard. I love the people I work with. Many have become great friends. I hate ignorant Doctors and nurses who don't know how to treat people when under pressure. I love Matt in the ER who makes me laugh when he pretends to be Dr. Nilson. I hate testing stool. I love working with Christy, April, Jodie, Kara, and T-Roy...the dream-team. I hate sputum. I love Blood Bank drama. I hate calling critical values. I love telling people when they have done an especially good job. I hate when poor performance gets rewarded. I love co-workers who snort when they laugh. I hate when co-workers sleep on the microscope. I love when troubleshooting works. I hate when troubleshooting causes bigger problems. I love Jane the cranky ICU nurse who knows exactly what she is doing. I hate when someone buys pizza because it is sooo tempting. I love a big batch of "clinics" in Chemistry. I hate platelet clumps. I love it when QC works. I hate lipemic specimens. I love full tubes. I hate false positive troponins. I love when I can identify a new antibody. I hate it when I can't (stupid non-specific warm/cold's and HTLA's). I love Docs who call just to say "good job". I hate Docs who call to chew you out for something that is not your fault. I love 2 o'clock or maybe more like 4 o'clock. I hate diluting Folates. I love a clean pending list. I hate lab floods. I love that even though we get forgotten most of the time, we make a difference in peoples health and well-being every day. Happy National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week April 19-25, 2009 !!














1 comment:

Bry and Meliss said...

Your post just made me realize what a smart cookie you are...I felt like I was reading an anatomy text book or something! I'm glad you have good friends at work-that will make or break a job! Keep up the good work in the "poo" lab!! :)